Vacon, a Danfoss company, is a leading manufacturer of variable speed AC drives in the range of 0.25KW to 5MW.
AC drives control the speed of either an induction motor or a synchronous motor by adjusting the frequency of the power supplied to the motor.
AC drives are also known as adjustable speed drives (ASD) or adjustable frequency drives (AFD) or variable frequency drives (VFD) or variable speed drives (VSD) or frequency converters (FC).
Process control benefits that might be provided by an AC drive are :
- Smoother operation
- Acceleration control
- Different operating speed for each process
- Compensate for changing process variables
- Allow slow operation for setup purposes
- Adjust the rate of production
- Allow accurate positioning
- Control torque or tension
- Energy saving